Saturday, August 04, 2007

Another Week, and still no bike...


[Santos, Port]

Yes, we are back, but the news is the same. I still haven't gotten the bike, although I have managed to get rid of a whole lot of money. Last weekend actually started great, the boat had left, the bike was now on land, customs had cleared the bike, now the only thing I was waiting for was a notice that I could come and get the bike. Call me an optimist, but I thought we were almost there. Well, as you have gathered by now it was not to be.

The fun started on Sunday afternoon, I received a mail requesting my CPF number in order to be able to continue processing my bike. I answered that I did not have one, and that customs had processed my paperwork without one. (A CPF number is the Brazilian Tax number which everyone has and is needed for practically anything which has anything to do with the government). Anyway after a few mails back and forth it was decided that they (Allink) would try and find a way around this with the officials in questions. Then on Tuesday I got a great mail, where I was told that the "operation with the container" was over. I took it to mean that my bike was ready, great. So I told Claudio I would come early in the following morning (Wednesday).

So bright and early the following morning I was there, and then the first bombshell. First I had to go and get some copies of the "new" bill of lading notarized. Huh? What "new" bill of lading? Well it turns out that the paperwork I had gotten done the two weeks ago was wrong, as it was based on the "wrong" bill of lading. The bill of lading which had been used to process my bike was the one for the shipment from Kolkata to Singapore. The bill of lading for the shipment from Singapore to Santos was never given to me.


[Santos, Port]

Ok, no problem, off to the notary public, and then together with Claudio we went to Customs, and deposited the documents. I was told to come back at 11 the following day. In the afternoon we then went to the "Bracenter Centro Brasileiro de Armazenagem E DistribuiĆ§Ć£o LTDA", where some very nice ladies, after a long and protracted explanation by Claudio, found ways around the bureaucracy to process my paperwork. Thereby allowing me to pay the "Warehouse fees". They ran into the CPF number problem also, but with a little imaginative bookkeeping they made it work, and in the end relieved me of an additional 687.93R$ This is a "minimum charge" for storage and handling of my crate in the warehouse for 15 days. I don't even want to think about what happens if I haven't managed to get the bike out by then..


[Santos, Port]

Ok, the following day, Thursday, 11:00 sharp I was ready for my date with customs to re-do the clearance papers. When, even before getting into the building I met the customs officer Nivio, who told me I required the clearance from Marinha Mercante before we could proceed. Ok, so back to Allink, where Claudio arranged for Anderson to take me to this office and try to get the clearance paper required. So off we went, and of course it is the only office which closes at 11:30 instead of 12:00 for lunch. So back in the afternoon for another try. This time we go in and after a fairly short discussion, which even I figured was a bad sign. The answer was no, I required a CPF number to clear the paperwork with this office. I was still not sure who these guys are!

Anyway, we went back to Customs and informed them of the setback, and we agreed to go ahead and start getting the papers ready the following day (at 11:00 again), and in the meanwhile, Claudio and Allink would try and figure out if there was a way around this issue (again, but different department). It was decided that we would go and see the section chief of this department, and try and explain our case to her.

Friday, 11:00, customs office; I am told to come back in 30 minutes, which I do, and when I return, I then sign 4 pieces of paper, and am asked to return after lunch to do the rounds with the secretary of the additional registration offices as I had done last time with her. After lunch and together with the secretary we fulfill this in short order and then I sit with another customs officer while he fills out the forms I signed before lunch, and gets all the copies in order and sorts everything out. In the end, everything is done but the release from Marinha Mercante, without which customs can't finish.

So I go back to Allink to meet Claudio and Anderson for our appointment with the section chief, but as customs had taken so long, Claudio and Anderson, had gone ahead and had the meeting without me. Unfortunately the result, after much back and forth, was that I am indeed required to get this CPF number before they will clear the cargo. It is now after 17:00 on Friday, so there is not much more to be done. But we agree to meet on Monday and go through the process, which according to them should take 2 days, after which I should have my brand new CPF number.

If you, gentle reader haven't fallen asleep by now, here is some more info. I had actually heard about the CPF number, and was aware that it might be necessary. But I figure that having come this far (the first two weeks) without one, I might just sneak by without it. Another reason that I wasn't anxious to get this number is that, if they have such a number for me they might get it into their heads to actually charge me customs duties on my motorcycle and possessions! Something which is not, and will not be acceptable. So we will see what happens now.

Also, if you think I am loosing my cool or getting impatient, you would be dead wrong. I am having a great time as always. One of the reasons is that I feel that everyone has gone way, way out of their way to try and help me with this issue. With the minor exception of the lady at Marinha Mercante, which took the usual bureaucratic approach to anything unknown, or new, basically deny that it is happening!. But, it's ok, I actually understand, and am not bothered by it, she is just doing her job.

On Friday at customs again, I was force feed from a great buffet; as was the case the previous week, someone had a birthday and they really laid out the goodies. I really get the VIP treament there. People would be standing outside waiting for their turn, and I would be enjoying my food, and drink inside, with everyone wondering who the hell is that guy? They (customers), would never have been invited. Not only that but when I asked where the toilet was, they gave me the key to their facilities, rather than send me downstairs to the public ones.

Also, I have to say that everyone at Allink, have really done a unbelievable job of helping me at the cost of their own work load, which is not a little. Hopefully they won't have had enough of me quite yet, as the bike is still sitting in a warehouse somewhere...



Technorati Tags: , , , , , ,

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good words.